As coffee tables and ottomans often stand in the centre of a room, they offer wonderful surface real estate for styling! Adding a large tray to your surface creates the perfect enclosed area for you to style with your favourite accessories and treasures and we've pulled together 29 of our favourite looks and tips to fill you with inspiration!
Showstopping square trays
Square trays are wonderful for creating symmetry in your room's scheme, particularly when placed on a gorgeous square ottoman or coffee table...
1. We love the sleek simplicity of this tray styling idea from Bliss at Home! White on white is a timelessly elegant choice and the added metallic details through the chic agate coasters add an edge of glamour to this look.
2. Give your living room scheme a contemporary twist with a modernist perspex tray. Take a leaf out of Erin of The Sparkle's book and use your ottoman tray to house your favourite reading materials, a scented candle and a little posy of seasonal blooms.
3. For an ordered and elegant look, choose a large tray that is just slightly smaller than the surface of the ottoman and stack the centre with your favourite coffee table books. This creates a tiered effect that is both tidy and stylish, this example from Interiors Etc Designs Ltd works perfectly in a room that already has a number of ornate design features.
4. Button detail upholstered ottomans make a gorgeous centrepiece in any living space and a large tray is crucial in order to make sure it is as functional as it is stylish, creating a flat surface that will allow you to rest a drink or plate on. Look for large trays with handles that can be used to transport drinks from the kitchen like this one show in this design by Mackenzie & Temple Architects & Designers.
5. We are feeling super inspired by this stylish monochrome scheme by AM Dolce Vita. This combination of black, white and gold with botanical accents is timelessly stylish and incredibly elegant - beautiful!
6. While chic but simple colour schemes never go out of style, taking risks with colour certainly pays off too! House Beautiful showcase this gorgeous fuchsia ottoman with contrasting olive green tray which add the perfect pop of colour to this sophisticated neutral backdrop.
7. Interior designer, Lauren Liess creates contrast between this round ottoman and square tray and adds a fresh, spring aspect to this living room through artfully arranged foliage and succulents.
Complement your scheme with a decorative tray
Instead of looking to simple ottoman trays in neutral colours and materials, try a more decorative piece to ensure your arrangement packs a design punch!
8. Create a rustic ottoman tray scheme with a vintage style crate instead in chic weathered wood. Display a stack of crockery and arrange fresh cut flowers in a glass jar for a gorgeous farmhouse feel like this beautifully French-inspired scheme from Dreamy Whites.
9. If you are spending time styling a tray for your ottoman or coffee table then you want it to be noticed and layering metallics on metallics is a sure-fire way to ensure that your tray takes centre stage. We adore this gorgeous gold on gold look from Swoon Worthy, recreate it with the fabulous Form Tray from Tom Dixon.
10. Instead of one large tray for your ottoman, consider placing two smaller decorative trays side by side - for a more eclectic look go for trays of different shapes. Create uniformity between the two trays by using coordinating items, these tea light holders and votives from Lene Bjerre are perfect for creating chic groupings.
Soften the look with a round tray
Try echoing the shapes of your furnishings and creating a softer scheme with a circular ottoman tray instead...
11. For circular ottomans, look to round trays that echo the shape of your furnishings for flowing lines and professional finish. This gorgeous scheme by Diane Bergeron combines a rounded ottoman with a circular tray displaying round dishes and a round vase for a trayscape that is visually striking.
12. This gorgeous metal tray has been expertly styled by the team at PureWow and the combination of succulents, votives and budding spring branches is perfect for creating a cool Scandinavian feel on your coffee table or ottoman.
Make a statement with a large tray
Sometimes bigger is better and these large ottoman tray ideas are perfect surfaces on which to get creative with your styling...
13. It's important to let your ottoman tray breathe as if it becomes too cluttered it will stop looking stylish and become messy. Choose a few select items and arrange them while allowing for space between them like this large tray from *Style Me Pretty.
14. Turn your ottoman or coffee table tray into a cosy light source by decorating it with an array of candle and tea light holders. This flickering light will enhance the space and create a warm, inviting environment - incorporate a couple of scented candles to fill your living area with your favourite aroma.
15. For those who love to entertain, try using a larger ottoman tray to house a bar area. A mirrored tray laid with a decanter, ice bucket and set of glasses creates an inviting first impression and ensures your favourite tipple is at arms reach!
16. To really let your ottoman take centrestage, look to an oversized style with an extra large tray to match. We love that this tray has been used to tie in this property's beach house style through a bon bon jar of seaside pebbles, shells and sculptural coral.
17. By using height on your ottoman tray you create an instant focal point within your living room. This stunning arrangement of tiered vases on PureWow adds both drama and glamour for a truly showstopping scheme.
Keep it classic with a rectangular tray
Classic looks never go out of style and a large rectangular tray is the perfect timeless addition to your ottoman or coffee table.
18. Go for statement style with this amazing ottoman tray idea from Bliss at Home. Abstract designs are combined with luxe materials to create a cool eclectic look that we love!
19. Statement prints are a wonderful for adding a little playfulness and personality into an interior space - especially when they are introduced as tastefully as in this scheme from The Teacher Diva!. The snakeskin print ottoman tray is a gorgeous complement to the leopard print cushion while the gold vase and urchin complement the coffee table's metalwork detail.
20. Simple yet effective, this shot of Arianna Belle's living room over on Style Me Pretty is a perfect example of less is more. By arranging a few key pieces and housing them within a second tray, the scheme feels uncluttered and elegant!
21. This beautiful tray in Stephanie Sterjovski's home on The Every Girl offers a fabulous array of textures that work beautifully together. By combining a raw wooden tray with marble, metallic and frosted glass accents, Stephanie has created a tray that adds visual depth to her scheme.
Add some curves with an oval tray
Break with clean lines and straight edges and incorporate a curved oval tray into your interior for a softer interior look...
22. Hunted Interior have created contrast on their coffee table scheme by pairing a square table top with and neatly stacked books and a rectangular with an oval tray. This addition of curves breaks the symmetry of the scheme and adds a softness to the look.
23. In room schemes with statement wallpaper and vibrant upholstery, the ottoman tray styling is best kept sleek and minimal. This gorgeous living room design by Interiors Etc Designs Ltd creates perfect harmony between the patterned wallpaper, accessorised console table and elegantly simple ottoman tray, adorned with a simple bouquet.
Go glam with a large silver tray
Metallic accents are a wonderful way of adding an instant dose of glamour to your interior and introducing light to your ottoman or coffee table...
24. Embrace ultimate elegance with a large metallic ottoman tray styled with fine white china and stylish coffee table books. It's important to add height to your tray scheme and a beautiful bouquet in a tall vase is perfect for adding both dimension and texture.
Woven trays for a rustic scheme
Try introducing texture and a rustic edge to your ottoman or coffee table with a woven tray...
25. A coffee table tray is the perfect place to display your finds and treasures from your travels. This globally inspired ottoman tray scheme from Amber Interiors is a gorgeous example and the woven wicker tray enhances the interior's laid-back, chic scheme.
26. Layering in an interior is crucial as it add visual depth and dimension and allows you to incorporate a range of materials, textures and colours in your scheme. Layer your ottoman tray on top of a designer throw like this look from Elements of Style to introduce a pop of colour and pattern.
Styling a modern tray
Complement more contemporary interior schemes with an ottoman tray that oozes modernity. Look to quirky metallic detailing, bold colourful trays and mixed materiality...
27. Don't just let your tray's display do the talking, look to richly patterned ottoman trays or trays made in an unusual materials for an added pop of colour and print. Try to stick to a palette of around two to three colours to keep your tray coordinated, we love the peach and green combination from Mimosa Lane.
28. Create harmony between your ottoman tray scheme and the rest of the surface by mirroring the materials featured across your scheme. These gorgeous brass finishes on this tray by Mimosa Lane are echoed on the surrounding table top for a gorgeous feeling of continuity.
29. Rather than a larger tray with multiple items, instead try using a small ottoman tray with just one focal point piece. Pair smaller trays with stacks of your favourite design books like this scheme from The Every Girl for a more contemporary feel.