With the summer really hotting up, we have been hunting down some of our favourite funky outdoor furniture and living ideas that are guaranteed to brighten up your garden space and transform it into a haven in which to relax, entertain and have fun! Check out some of our top tips from the Houseology team, design experts and a few of our favourite bloggers and get inspired to refresh your outdoor space pronto!
01.Funky outdoor chairs
Enliven your outdoor space with some of our favourite funky seating ideas. From bold colours to cool, contemporary shapes, seating can transform your garden space and set the tone for your outdoors.
1. “Create a casual space for lounging around in the garden by choosing low-level, ergonomic seating to relax in, teamed with vibrant, stripy rugs. Add a mix of pots planted with moss and ferns around the edge of your garden for a smart boho mix," House to Home.
2. When it comes to choosing pieces for your garden, consider how you use the space. If you enjoy spending some alone time in the garden, look for stylish seating options for one. Funky outdoor furniture pieces such as contemporary hanging chairs or vibrant hammocks offer the perfect solution for those who want their outdoor space all to themselves...
3. Funky outdoor furniture doesn't need to be limited to the garden. Stylish folding deckchairs are perfect for popping in the car and upgrading your picnic - we adore the bold stripes of the Southsea Deckchair collection!
4. Statement furnishings aren't just for your home's interior, introducing an unusual piece of garden furniture can completely transform your garden and add an interesting, contemporary focal point. The hanging chair is proving to be a popular addition this summer and the Globo Chair by Amazonas is both super comfortable and seriously striking - the perfect practical finishing touch.
5. For real fun in the sun style, we're looking to unapologetically bold brand, Fatboy! The Lamzac Hangout is, without doubt, one of the most popular pieces of outdoor furniture this season with its vibrant colour options, portability and comfort; perfect for the garden, camping and, of course, festival season!
6. Inspire the kids to have more fun in the sun this summer with super stylish hanging hammock chairs. Perfect for curling up with a good book in a shady spot or as a great play area for the little ones to play in, the hammock chair is one of our favourite summer essentials!
7. "The garden is one place I would not be afraid to go bold with colours across outdoor furnishings and textiles. Keep in mind that the sun (whatever little we have of it!) can make colours fade, so garden cushions should be kept out of direct light when not in use. Big hurricane lamps in clusters of 2-3 will take you through the evening and you can combine these with colourful candles to match your decor." Jenny of Seasons in Colour.
02.Garden furniture ideas
Whether you use your outdoor space for relaxing alone or hosting friends and family for outdoor meals, discover the garden furniture ideas you need to set the scene.
8. "When the sun is out and friends are round, no one wants to keep schlepping back and forth between house and garden with drinks. I love the idea of keeping cans and bottles cool in situ with this ice bucket section of the bench. Less time hosting, more time relaxing." Lottie of Oyster and Pearl
9. Even the smallest garden spaces can be enlivened with pieces of funky garden furniture - consider a small table that is just large enough for the essentials! "Though bright, this table's size won't overwhelm your porch. Even with a potted plant, this one has just enough space for your morning tea... or your five 'o clock sangria," Good Housekeeping.
10. Enliven your patio with beautiful painted garden furniture. if your outdoor space has lots of plantlife and flowers, choose a shade that complements the blooms for a gorgeous, harmonious scheme.
11. For something truly different, look to contemporary designs and 2016 twists on classic pieces. Clean lines, architectural shapes and sleek materials are essential for a striking outdoor space that exudes cool modernity.
12. HGTV says one of the biggest outdoor furniture trends for this summer is blurring the lines between our indoor and outdoor spaces. Create living room inspired garden rooms complete with coffee tables, cushions and throws for a truly inside-out feel.
13. Set up for a stylish summer with a rustic lounger on which to relax and soak up the sunshine! Look to wood finishes that work with the garden's plant-life to create harmony in your outdoor space.
14. Top stylist Elkie Brown is brimming with funky outdoor furniture ideas which are perfect for hosting friends and family over the summer months. "For me al fresco entertaining is all about sharing food around a long table. I love lots of candlelight in candelabras, jam jars and lanterns running down the length of the table and pots of rosemary plants or flowers picked from the garden."
03.Funky garden accessories
From outdoor rugs to gorgeous garden glassware, complete your outdoor scene with funky garden accessories that will tie the look together,
15. Nailing a funky outdoor space is all about adding things that you wouldn't necessarily consider adding outside says Deborah of Ollie & Seb's Haus. "An outdoor rug, like the Gloster round rug or some outdoor scatter cushions will allow you to create your own personal outdoor space, a space you want to relax, enjoy and entertain in through the summer months. Just don’t be afraid to experiment!"
16.Complete your al fresco party table top with a signature cocktail recipe created just for the event and display it in stunning Kilner style for the ultimate finishing touch!
17. "If you're installing a fire pit in your garden try zoning off a section especially for it. Whether you use piled up logs, potted plants, bricks or chairs the effect will be striking and will make for a cosy sense of togetherness around the fire. Just add a group of your favourite people!" Ruth of Gathered Cheer.
18. Take adding colour to your outdoor space to the next level with vibrant bean bags, seating and outdoor rugs - mix bold hues with the natural materials of your outdoor space for contemporary contrast.
19. "Creating an outdoor space that is suitable for the whole family is key. Aim for a comfortable seating area for both kids and adults for eating, whilst also creating a fun and enjoyable play area too," Pamela, Life with Munchers.
04.Funky outdoor lighting
Whether indoors or out, lighting doesn't only need to be functional, instead make a statement with bold funky outdoor lighting designs.
20. Consider your outdoor space in the same way as you would your home's interior, making design decisions based on both style and practicality. Funky outdoor lighting such as these oversized statement Anglepoise lamps create a bold, inspiring garden look and ensure your outdoor space can be used long after dark.
05.Funky garden parasols
Prepare for sunny days and add a burst of colour to your garden with a funky garden parasol.