Whether you are looking for an alcoholic tipple or a refreshing drink for all the family, Kilner has come up trumps with summer recipes for everyone! Why not give them a whirl and share your summery snaps wi th us via our Instagram page TheHouseologists!
Makes 350ml syrup
300g caster sugar
1.5 lemons (sliced)
1 orange (sliced)
Ice and fresh mint to serve
1. Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and pour over 350ml cold water.
2. Bring to the boil, stirring often, then leave to cool.
3. Pour the mix through a sieve, pressing down with a spoon to extract all the juices. The syrup can now be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week.
4. To serve, pour a little syrup into a glass and top up with sparkling or still water, ice and mint.
750ml of vodka
- 1. Gather the rhubarb stems, removing the poisonous leaves and any discoloured parts. Chop into 3cm pieces and put into a Kilner jar with the sugar and vodka. Seal the jar, shake well and leave for at least three or four weeks.
- 2. Strain the mix into a bottle through muslin and place in a cool dark place for three months. The discarded rhubarb can be eaten, and works well in a boozy rhubarb fool.
Recipe by Andy Hamilton, Booze for Free.
1.5kg granulated or caster sugar
1.5 unwaxed lemons
15 fresh elderflower heads (washed, with stalks trimmed)
40g citric acid
- 1. Place the sugar and water in a large saucepan on a low heat and simmer until the sugar dissolves, stirring when necessary.
- 2. Roughly trim the zest from the lemons and then cut the lemons into thick slices and set aside.
- 3. Bring your pan to the boil once the sugar has dissolved and the mixture becomes syrup-like, and then turn off the heat.
- 4. Add the elderflower heads to the syrup mixture, followed by the lemon slices, lemon zest and citric acid. Stir well and allow the mixture to infuse for 24 hours in a covered pan.
- 5. Use a colander lined with a clean tea towel to sieve the cordial. Now you simply need to fill up your bottles or drinks dispenser. Make sure they're sterilised properly and use a funnel and a ladle to fill your Kilner bottles. Your elderflower cordial will last up to 6 weeks in the fridge!